How To Check Your Tax Refund Status
Get your tax refund status at Where's My Refund - It's Fast, Secure and Easy.
Checking the Status of Your Federal Tax Refund
Call the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954
Note: Amended tax return info is not available online.
Generally, you can expect the IRS to issue your refund in less than 21 calendar days.
Where’s My Refund? is updated every 24 hours – usually overnight. Use this tool to check the status of your refund no more than once a day. It provides the most up-to-date information and there’s no need to call the IRS unless Where’s My Refund? directs you to do this.
Contacting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
For additional questions about your refund payment, or to report your check as damaged, lost, or stolen:
Contact the IRS by phone at:
or here > International IRS Offices (if living outside the U.S.)
Checklist: IRS Tax Refund Knowledge
Here are eight things that the IRS wants you to know about when you are checking the status of your federal income tax refund:
- Whether you opted for direct deposit into one bank account, divided your tax refund between several accounts, used part of your refund to buy U.S. Savings Bonds or had the IRS mail a check to you, the IRS site http://www.irs.gov is the fast, and simple way to get information about your refund with online access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- To Check your Tax Refund Status you must enter Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, Your filing status which will be Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow-(er), and the exact refund amount shown on your tax return.
- You can get your refund status information 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your return. For mailed in returns, refund information is generally available three to four weeks after mailing.
- Visually Impaired Taxpayers may use the Job Access with Speech screen reader used with a Braille display that is compatible with different JAWS modes.
- Where’s My Refund? also allows access to customized information based on your specific situation. Follow the links guide to resolve issues affecting your refund.
- Taxpayers may use the Toll-free IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954 or the IRS TeleTax System at 800-829-4477 to check the status of your refund in English or Spanish.
- IRS2Go is an IRS smart-phone application that lets taxpayers check on the status of their refund. Apple users can download the free IRS2Go application online at the Apple App Store. Android users can visit the Android Marketplace.
- Online IRS Where's My Refund data will include:
• Acknowledgement that your return was received and is being processed.
• The direct deposit or mailed date that your tax refund was sent on.
• A Notice if the IRS was not able to deliver your refund due to an incorrect account number or address. Should this happen, you may be able to change your mailing address on the IRS website.
TurboTax Online Tax Preparation
HR Block Online Tax Preparation
Your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date for tax filers using efile if you filed a complete and accurate tax return. This time-frame does not refer to IRS handling time for mailed in paper returns. However, It is possible that your tax return may require review and take longer that the time frame listed above.